Monday, August 4, 2008

But God . . .

A short phrase of two simple words, but it is becoming my ultimate favorite phrase of the bible. These two words are repeated quite often throughout the bible, and usually represent a contrast between our total inadequacy and the awesomeness of God. The transition from the words right before BUT GOD to the words right after are usually so significant. To me, they are some of the most powerful pictures in the bible of what God has done and is doing for us. God makes all the difference. May God increase, and everything else decrease. I'll post a few verses on here, but I encourage you to do a word study on "but God". I think it would be a great blessing to you, it was to me.

I Sam 23:14 "... Saul sought him every day, but God delivered him not into his hand"
Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart faileth, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever"
I Cor 10:13 "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it"
Romans 5:7-8 "For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates his own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

No comments: